Ars Technica: Microsoft making a dent in spam volume.

A compendium of news related to spammers, spam arrests, spam legislation, forum spamming, cybercrime and related issues.

Ars Technica: Microsoft making a dent in spam volume.

Postby spamislame » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:19 pm

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/20 ... edowns.ars

The scourge of spam e-mail will likely never go away, but Microsoft says new data shows that a few targeted anti-botnet operations can reduce malicious e-mail volume by tens of billions of messages per month.

In July 2010, 89.2 billion spam messages were blocked by Microsoft’s Forefront Online Protection for Exchange service, which is used by thousands of enterprise customers. By June 2011, that monthly total was down to 25 billion. Microsoft, in the latest bi-annual Security Intelligence Report (PDF) covering the period ending in June, attributes the drop primarily to the “takedowns of two major botnets: Cutwail, which was shut down in August 2010, and Rustock, which was shut down in March 2011 following a period of dormancy that began in January.”

Some good overall statistics here.

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Re: Ars Technica: Microsoft making a dent in spam volume.

Postby issviews » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Indeed but lets not forget that spammers have found a better way to get noticed etc. Android phones. ;) I read that spammers and malware authors are concentrating on these far more than conventional means due to the vulnerabilities and ease in which they can do their dirty deeds. :(
Last edited by issviews on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
issviews

Postby spamislame » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:20 pm

I know email spam is only one form of spam or online malicious criminal activity, but a win is a win. :)

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Postby Red Dwarf » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:46 pm

Thinking out aloud . .

hmm, I am missing out, should I buy myself an Android phone?

Nah.
Red Dwarf
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Return to Spam In The News