News - More African Internet users than US

Where members can post anything unrelated to the fight against spam.

News - More African Internet users than US

Postby Red Dwarf » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:31 pm

Cisco: Africa in 2017 to Have More Internet Users Than U.S.
Apr 07, 2014 8:33 AM PST
Reference: http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140407_ ... s_than_us/
Dave Burstein wrote:Carlos Slim of Telmex tells me the world is about to change. "Two billion more people will connect to the Internet when smartphones cost $50. The phone makers are promising me a $50 phone in 2014." If Spreadtrum and Firefox deliver a $25 smartphone, as promised, that could accelerate takeover.

~310,000,000 Africans will be connected to the Internet in 2017, Arielle Sumits of Cisco predicts. The population of the U.S. is about 310,000,000, Africa over a billion. It's inevitable that the U.S. will be dwarfed by the rest of the world. In Africa, there are already about 450,000,000 mobile phone users with substantial growth continuing. Most of them will get Internet-capable phones in the next few years.

Think about the increase in Nigerian scams . . :roll:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And in more news . . .

Reference http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/ ... 20862.html
Cisco Report wrote: The Mobile Network Through 2018

Mobile data traffic will reach the following milestones within the next five years.

● Monthly global mobile data traffic will surpass 15 exabytes by 2018.

● The number of mobile-connected devices will exceed the world’s population by 2014.

● The average mobile connection speed will surpass 2 Mbps by 2016.

● Due to increased usage on smartphones, smartphones will reach 66 percent of mobile data traffic by 2018.

● Monthly mobile tablet traffic will surpass 2.5 exabyte per month by 2018.

● Tablets will exceed 15 percent of global mobile data traffic by 2016.

● 4G traffic will be more than half of the total mobile traffic by 2018.

● There will be more traffic offloaded from cellular networks (on to Wi-Fi) than remain on cellular networks by 2018.

Global mobile data traffic will increase nearly 11-fold between 2013 and 2018. Mobile data traffic will grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 61 percent from 2013 to 2018, reaching 15.9 exabytes per month by 2018.

Read more
Red Dwarf
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Re: News - More African Internet users than US

Postby NotBuyingIt » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:35 pm

This topic may not entirely be unrelated to spam.

Red Dwarf wrote:Think about the increase in Nigerian scams . . :roll:
Indeed, that was my first thought after reading this thread's subject line. Government censorship may somewhat slow the expansion in Africa, though.
NotBuyingIt
Spammer Killing Machine

Re: News - More African Internet users than US

Postby AlphaCentauri » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:18 am

When you have a lot of government censorship, I should think there would be a lot of market for "burner" phones with prepaid disposable accounts that can't be traced to a user. That could inflate the actual number of users.
AlphaCentauri
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Return to Unrelated to Spam