News: Europe to drop phone/data global roaming surcharge

Where members can post anything unrelated to the fight against spam.

News: Europe to drop phone/data global roaming surcharge

Postby Red Dwarf » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:58 pm

The European Parliament has voted to scrap the roaming fees charged for using a mobile phone while abroad.

Under the wide-ranging telecoms reforms, the cost of making a call or downloading internet data in another EU country will be the same as at home.

The change is due to take effect from 15 December next year. It still requires approval from EU governments.

More at http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26866966

Now if this could become a global phenomenon . . .
Red Dwarf
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Re: News: Europe to drop phone/data global roaming surcharge

Postby Nodus » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:49 am

I can see a potential problem there though. Operators will have to cover the expenses caused by those roaming calls in some other way. What will they do? Of course they will raise the overall pricing. So, everyone will pay, including people like me who don't travel that much abroad. I'm not sure if that's fair... :?
Arf, she said
Nodus
Spammer Obliterator

Postby Red Dwarf » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:42 pm

Roaming surcharges are a fiction. Large telco's introduce a charge to hand off a call between one Telco network and another. They add the surcharge to the customer bill to recover that cost. But if each is handing over a similar volume of calls, the intercharge costs level out. (A miilion calls from A to B and a million calls from B to A). Income = Expense. The customer surcharge is sheer profit.

When the call is across country boundaries but within the same Telco (eg Orange in Europe and Middle East) then the surcharge is totally unjustifiable, and is atttributable to sheer profit.

Not many consumers are aware of this. No Telco wants them to know.

The advent of Skype and other Internet telephony solutions has them running scared.
Red Dwarf

Postby Nodus » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:36 am

Red Dwarf wrote:Not many consumers are aware of this. No Telco wants them to know.

Hmm, you're right, I hadn't thought about it that way. But now I'm afraid they will use that as an excuse in order to raise prices anyway just because consumers are not aware... :) Let's hope consumer authorities will stay vigilant here.

But another thought just for an argument's sake:

But if each is handing over a similar volume of calls, the intercharge costs level out.

What if the volume is not similar? Some countries have a lot of tourism but fewer travellers abroad, while other countries have it the other way around. The former will lose, the latter will win.
Arf, she said
Nodus
Spammer Obliterator

Postby Red Dwarf » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:28 pm

If the volume is not similar, then the larger Telco is taking the risk that they will be charged with ant-competitive or monoplistic tactics.

This is another reason for secrecy about the true costs of business.
Red Dwarf

Return to Unrelated to Spam