East Coast Earthquake

Where members can post anything unrelated to the fight against spam.

East Coast Earthquake

Postby trobbins » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:06 pm

I wander how long it will take for spam to start
floating around about the East Cost Earthquake.?
trobbins
Spammers' Nightmare

Re: East Coast Earthquake

Postby trobbins » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:00 pm

Well that was pretty quick.
To a non-existent email address....

We now offer earthquake data on our consumer file!

Target consumers based on their sensitivity to earthquake tremors!

bizcom99.com

bizcom99.com/************** redirects to hXXp://www.v12groupinc.com
I contacted them through their contact page and used a fresh email address
so I can monitor whether they resell it. :twisted:
trobbins
Spammers' Nightmare

Postby AlphaCentauri » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:08 pm

Fortunately no one seriously hurt even near the epicenter. It was more like snow in L.A. as far as being a fun novelty for most of the areas.

We didn't think to run outside during the shaking because we were busy trying to decide if it was an earthquake or a tree falling on some part of the house and crushing it. Earthquake is pretty far down the list of possible causes of the house shaking around here.
AlphaCentauri
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Postby AlphaCentauri » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:00 pm

Slideshow showing damage to the national cathedral:
http://www.dcquake.nationalcathedral.org/#

It's kind of sobering -- it could have been much worse. You can see the massive stones were just stacked up and held by their own weight and the weight of stones around them. One of the stone pinnacles looks like it wobbled sideways like an unbalanced washing machine. A few more seconds of shaking and it could have crashed to the ground and destroyed part of the roof and maybe killed some people.
AlphaCentauri

Postby ColoradoChris » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:03 am

I like how the news spent the whole day covering the effects of this quake. I was interested for about 10 minutes before it became repetitive. And in typical east coast fashion, a much more newsworthy event (in MY unbiased humble opinion) was upstaged. :roll:

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/us/2 ... .html?_r=1

No. I didn't feel it :lol:

All in a day's work, eh?
ColoradoChris
Spam Reporter

Postby AlphaCentauri » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:26 am

East coast vs. Colorado: It's because of the massive area involved on the east coast quake and the dense population here compared to the west. Millions more people felt the one here.

It's important any time it hits an area not prepared for it. Here in Philadelphia, a high percentage of our brick houses would collapse if the epicenter of a shallow 5.9 were here. If we had a dozen strong quakes a year, they wouldn't have been built that way and they would have been falling down one at a time, not thousands at once.

It's like forest fires that occur in areas where the forest service has been putting them out for so many years that the dry underbrush has built up.
AlphaCentauri

Postby NotBuyingIt » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:57 pm

NotBuyingIt
Spammer Killing Machine

Postby AlphaCentauri » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:03 pm

We live on high ground and for whatever geographic reasons tend to get different weather than areas just a few blocks away -- usually worse, but this time better, with less branches or even leaves blown off trees than our usual storms. But our power has been out about 24 hours now, probably from a transformer explosion from the bang we heard (oddly, we had no thunder and lightning at all). I stopped at a hotspot with my laptop to check messages, as I've been in internet withdrawal and unable to hear the news from TV.

Losing power for a prolonged period is like having your tonsils out -- eating all the ice cream you want sounds a lot better than it turns out to be.
AlphaCentauri

Postby trobbins » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:19 pm

AlphaCentauri wrote:Slideshow showing damage to the national cathedral:
http://www.dcquake.nationalcathedral.org/#

It's kind of sobering -- it could have been much worse. You can see the massive stones were just stacked up and held by their own weight and the weight of stones around them. One of the stone pinnacles looks like it wobbled sideways like an unbalanced washing machine. A few more seconds of shaking and it could have crashed to the ground and destroyed part of the roof and maybe killed some people.

And they suffer even more bad luck....
http://www.dcquake.nationalcathedral.org/
trobbins
Spammers' Nightmare

Return to Unrelated to Spam