Amway

Where members can post anything unrelated to the fight against spam.

Amway

Postby ColoradoChris » Tue May 24, 2011 2:02 am

I recently met a young man at work who said he was in a related field to what I'm going to school for (specifically programming at the time). He asked if he could contact me & I was hesitant at 1st but I gave him some contact info.

A few voicemails, texts, and FB request later, I got back with him regarding a "secondary source of income" he was offering. He spoke quite highly of himself as an "entrepreneur"...a word I think is far too used and has almost lost its meaning. Anyway, we have a conversation and he sends me a link to his personal web site offering this business opportunity. I never heard such a pitch. It was the best system he's ever encountered and it has extreme potential and I could be my own boss and decide my own hours, yada, yada, yada :roll:

It eventually becomes a recruitment for Amway and the story of how he is quitting his job at the Apple store to pursue this full-time. I hadn't really heard of this before but I wasn't about to get involved in anything remotely like what he was describing. After I told him no, the conversation went from being recruited as a member to becoming a customer. Right. Like I need to buy my soap, energy drinks (which I don't even drink) and water filters online through a group (pyramid) of affiliates. He didn't like when I used the word "Pyramid". Any of you have experience with this "company"? I did a little research. Let's just say I can't believe people fall for it.
ColoradoChris
Spam Reporter

Re: Amway

Postby spamislame » Tue May 24, 2011 9:00 am

I'm amazed that Amway has returned as an idea. It was frequently ridiculed as a pyramid scheme back in the 70's and 80's. It's weird that it has a whole new following, I guess since it's been long enough that people now forget or never knew what it was.

I refer you to this, one of thousands of sites which outline how damaging this can be for people who fall for it:

http://www.amwayscam.org/

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Postby Benzyl » Tue May 24, 2011 9:40 am

It's been a good few decades since I had dealings with this setup but an old friend (who also got sucked into Scien tology) was gripped by it and got VERY obsessive, I believe part of the 'training' involves giving big flinches whenever the 'P' word is mentioned but, really, this is all just so last century.
Ruffian antics are a wrench in society's gears
Benzyl
Spam Muncher

Postby meep » Tue May 24, 2011 9:42 am

I haven't thought about Amway in years. I remember being approached about it many moons ago. It never hurts repeating a word of caution for such things. :shock:
meep
Spammers' Nightmare

Postby AlphaCentauri » Tue May 24, 2011 11:35 am

Once upon a time, someone with an high-quality product might not be able to get space on supermarket shelves and might not be able to compete on price in retail stores. Then, having the army of home vendors makes some sense e.g., Tupperware. But with the internet, why are they still selling this way? Why can't they set up a website, create brand recognition, and compete online?
AlphaCentauri
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Postby Red Dwarf » Tue May 24, 2011 7:59 pm

Like for example http://www.amway.com/EN ?
Red Dwarf

Postby trobbins » Tue May 24, 2011 8:05 pm

I know of Amway. I grew up with some of the products and the few that we bought
worked great. Once such product was LOC. The stuff was so strong, a 16oz bottle
lasted for years. On the other side of the coin, the past 20+ years, I had a relative
and her husband who lived in N. Carolina who made a good living selling Amway.
They have been retired and travel all the time. For as long as I have known them,
they never had any other job. I'm not saying that everyone does well, it takes a
certain personality type to do well. It is multilevel marketing, and if they didn't
run that business in that manner, the products would be much cheaper. I have
run across some really crazy people in Amway, and others you would never
know was involved with Amway unless they told you. Some are very pushy,
and others respect the word no, I am not interested. But you get that in almost
any sales organization.

There is another organization similar to Amway called Market America. They do
utilize the web and they also sell cleaning products, specifically non chemical type
products. One of their oil eating products was used to help clean up the Valdez Oil
spill. The product used microbes that eats oil. I've seen some of the other microbial
cleaners completely remove dried blood carpeting.

I'm not trying to sell you on anything, just airing my experience on the subject. :mrgreen:
trobbins
Spammers' Nightmare

Postby AlphaCentauri » Wed May 25, 2011 12:45 am

Yeah, no arguments, I haven't used any Amway products in years, but at least back then they were professional strength. That's what I mean -- they could sell them without the MLM and have a great reputation instead of being lumped in with pyramid scammers.
AlphaCentauri

Postby spamislame » Wed May 25, 2011 10:22 am

trobbins wrote:I'm not trying to sell you on anything, just airing my experience on the subject. :mrgreen:

And see: this is the first time I've ever heard any other side of things regarding this. I mean good for them but the general experience I've had is one of it seeming like a really desperate scammy company.

Thanks for the alternative view.

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Postby tacoma43 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:47 am

About 30 years ago a friend/co-worker introduced me to Amway. My minimal research told me more about the good reputation of the Amway products than about the organization itself, so I decided to check it out.

I am not a salesperson. The enthusiasm conveyed at the several motivational meetings that I attended lacked sincerity and failed to convert me. I became my best/only customer; the few products that I bought were of good quality at reasonable prices, but the business concept didn't appeal to me.
tacoma43
Spam Reporter

Postby Red Dwarf » Fri May 27, 2011 5:15 pm

I had similar experiences. A friend once approached me with a suspicious sounding patter about making money to pay off my mortgage and settle my debts. (He was oblivious to the possibility that I might have already paid off my mortgage and had no debts, that did not faze his rehearsed patter.)
He invited me and my wife to come to his place and meet his wife, and have a few drinks. I was savvy enough to ask - "This isn't Amway is it?" and he reassured me it was nothing like that.

When we arrived we were surprised to find that there were 12 other guests, who were also surprised that they were not the only invitees. Once the sales pitch began, half the guests got up and left. The pitch never mentioned any products - it concentrated solely on how to get rich by appointing our own friends and acquaintances as sales people. We waited to see it through, then left with a thanks but no thanks. He went from being a friend to a tolerated colleague.

Many years later I was given Amway as a customer to serve. I was never their customer, but they were mine. And that's the only way I would have it.
Red Dwarf

Postby AlphaCentauri » Fri May 27, 2011 5:37 pm

And if he'd just sold you the detergent in the first place instead of trying to recruit 14 people to each recruit 14 other people and so on, you'd have had a clean garage floor and he'd still have had 14 friends.
AlphaCentauri

Postby Red Dwarf » Fri May 27, 2011 6:33 pm

Based on my experience, I taught all of my children how to detect and reject Amway sales pitches from over-zealous recruiters.

It was the second of my consumer awareness sessions.

The first one covered how to detect the Scientology pseudo-science mumbo-jumbo predatory brigade, who stood on the street offering free IQ tests.
Red Dwarf

Postby AlphaCentauri » Fri May 27, 2011 8:13 pm

Red Dwarf wrote:The first one covered how to detect the Scientology pseudo-science mumbo-jumbo predatory brigade, who stood on the street offering free IQ tests.

The Scientologists don't set up on the street around where I live. They'd have to compete with the Jehovah's Witnesses. That might be worth the price of admission.
AlphaCentauri

Return to Unrelated to Spam