Jeff Moss joins ICANN

Where members can post anything unrelated to the fight against spam.

Jeff Moss joins ICANN

Postby Red Dwarf » Sun May 01, 2011 10:36 pm

http://news.hostexploit.com/hosts-and-registrars-news/4876-from-the-trenches-to-icanns-chief-security-officer.html
Friday April 29, 2011

Jeff Moss, founder of DEF CON, starts his new job today, April 29, as Vice President and Chief Security Officer of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). He will be based at the multinational non-profit organization's office in Washington, D.C., where he will begin making his contribution to ICANN's mission to secure a stable and unified global Internet.

ICANN’s appointment of Jeff Moss has been praised by leading security experts and organizations for the breadth of knowledge that he will bring to the team. As founder of the world’s largest hacker conference DEF CON, and Black Hat, a global technical security conference Jeff has the type of experience that is vital for ICANN as it continues to meet the challenges of the future.
Red Dwarf
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Re: Jeff Moss joins ICANN

Postby spamislame » Mon May 02, 2011 12:36 am

Wow! I mean: this is certainly unexpected. Next question is how long until he is utterly fed up with how bureaucratic and boring the position must be.

I hope he brings some genuine change to this organization but I have to question whether he'll feel all that motivated, given the history of ICANN generally.

Still: great news.

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Re: Jeff Moss joins ICANN

Postby HansTheBlueFrog » Fri May 06, 2011 5:59 pm

Red Dwarf wrote:...Jeff has the type of experience that is vital for ICANN as it continues to meet the challenges of the future.

OK, I get it! We all expect a lot from Jeff. But, how about the rest of that post? The part about what we expect of ICANN. Based on their record, it is more likely that they will continue to be the ICAN"T we all know and love. I can just imagine the high level of resistance to positive change in that culture. Poor Jeff!!! Organizations like that don't change just because a new leader shows up. It is most likely a defensive/oppositional/confrontational culture. These are people who won't think twice about tripping poor Jeff in the hallway. I bet the honeymoon doesn't last long. We'll see what happens after that.

Hans
HansTheBlueFrog
Spam Investigator

Return to Unrelated to Spam