Costco caught fencing fake Tiffany goods

A listing of any stories pertaining to cybercriminal investigations which result in firm legal action.

Costco caught fencing fake Tiffany goods

Postby Red Dwarf » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:21 pm

Ref: http://luxurysociety.com/news/49061

Costco sold counterfeit Tiffany engagement rings
September 9, 2015

Costco Wholesale Corp willfully infringed Tiffany & Co's trademarks by selling counterfeit diamond engagement rings bearing the luxury retailer's name and must face a jury trial to assess damages, a U.S. judge ruled on Tuesday.

U.S. District Judge Laura Taylor Swain in Manhattan rejected claims by Costco that Tiffany's trademarks were invalid because they sought to prevent others from using the word "Tiffany" as a generic description of a type of ring setting.

Under the ruling, Tiffany may now take Costco before a jury to seek damages, including a recovery of Costco's profits from the sale of the diamond rings and punitive damages.
Red Dwarf
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Re: Costco caught fencing fake Tiffany goods

Postby AlphaCentauri » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:10 am

I haven't found any references to "tiffany" as a generic description of a type of diamond setting:
AlphaCentauri
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Re: Costco caught fencing fake Tiffany goods

Postby NotBuyingIt » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:51 pm

AlphaCentauri wrote:I haven't found any references to "tiffany" as a generic description of a type of diamond setting
Perhaps such a reference, dated Oct 2, 2012, is at
http://www.forbes.com/sites/janelee/201 ... ing-style/
[T]he term “Tiffany setting” has reached ‘Kleenex status’—it’s now used colloquially throughout the jewelry industry to describe any multi-pronged solitaire setting, Tiffany or no.
It apparently means a setting with a six-prong clasp which holds a gem as close as possible to the finger.

a wooden ring
NotBuyingIt
Spammer Killing Machine

Return to Arrests, Indictments and Convictions