Coordinated crackdown on Citadel botnet

Any research, news or information regarding the wide variety of techniques criminals use to take over your computers or web servers.

Coordinated crackdown on Citadel botnet

Postby Red Dwarf » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:15 pm

Ref: http://www.freenewspos.com/news/article/b/766850/cybercrime/police-seize-computers-linked-to-large-cybercrime-operation

Police seize computers linked to large cybercrime operation - Sept 7, 2013

command and control servers of a bot network - [Citadel] - were linked to the computers of a web hosting service, White Falcon Communications, that leased network Internet Protocol addresses from Burnaby’s Arima Networks. “Botnets” are networks of computers that have been infected by malicious software and can then can be controlled by cybercriminals.

White Falcon Communications has been renting space and a connection to the Internet from Arima Networks for about three years, according to the search warrant. White Falcon is owned by Dmitry Glazyrin, whose account is listed with a Port Moody address, according to the warrant.

A voicemail message on Glazyrin’s phone number said he’s out of the country on a business trip.
Red Dwarf
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Re: Coordinated crackdown on Citadel botnet

Postby NotBuyingIt » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:53 pm

The article states that the raid was conducted in Metro Vancouver.

I was unaware it was a hotbed of cyber-crime.
NotBuyingIt
Spammer Killing Machine

Re: Coordinated crackdown on Citadel botnet

Postby Red Dwarf » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Addresses in registrations are notoriously bogus when supplied by shady characters.

However, the name "Dmitry Glazyrin" - possibly an alias - is one to watch.
Red Dwarf
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Return to Botnets, Hijacks and Hacking