Man sentenced for using botnet to suppress embarrassing news

Any research, news or information regarding the wide variety of techniques criminals use to take over your computers or web servers.

Man sentenced for using botnet to suppress embarrassing news

Postby AlphaCentauri » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:11 pm

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20110 ... virus.html

It's really a sad story. The fellow volunteered with a group that went into chat rooms to ensnare pedophiles. He had a falling out with the group and publicly criticized them. The group leader posed as a woman, lured him into an online relationship, got him to send photos of himself, then got him to agree to leave his wife. They arranged their first meeting in person. The group leader took photos of him holding flowers waiting to meet the imaginary woman, then published all the photos and email correspondence on line. The man lost his marriage and all contact with his son, lost his house, and is now living in a trailer with his mother.

Now it happens that other people also had reason to criticize the online group. But every time they did, they brought up the story of the way they had victimized this guy. So the story and pictures kept being published online. Apparently, the guy spread malware to create his own botnet to DDoS the news sites that were hosting the pictures. The judge came down on him because his actions were intended to suppress free speech.
AlphaCentauri
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Re: Man sentenced for using botnet to suppress embarrassing news

Postby spamislame » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:14 pm

That is one of the most bizarre stories I've read in a while. :/

Still: DDOS'ing is not cool, no matter why it was used.

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Postby kabo0m » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:23 pm

Wow .. just wow. What a bizarre story
kabo0m
Spam Reporter

Postby Red Dwarf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:38 pm

I suppose presidents, prime ministers, dictators and governments would be exempt from prosecution for committing the same offense.

ie using a botnet to suppress embarrassing news

:shock:
Red Dwarf
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Return to Botnets, Hijacks and Hacking