50 ISPs harbor half of all infected machines worldwide

Any research, news or information regarding the wide variety of techniques criminals use to take over your computers or web servers.

50 ISPs harbor half of all infected machines worldwide

Postby spamislame » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:05 pm

http://www.net-security.org/malware_news.php?id=1531

There are a ton of revelations in this report. Worth a read for sure.

Also on Slashdot:

http://it.slashdot.org/story/10/11/18/0 ... d-Machines

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Re: 50 ISPs harbor half of all infected machines worldwide

Postby AlphaCentauri » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:56 pm

As I recall, when Red was doing his bot scanning and reporting, three ISPs had a third of all the infections.

As was mentioned in the slashdot comments, you need to know what the denominator is -- what percentage of computers use those 50 ISPs? Half the bots isn't impressive if they have half the computers.

Assuming it is disproportionate, it probably reflects the 800 pound gorilla effect. If a small ISP is harboring a spam-spewing computer on a dynamic IP range and doesn't deal with it, it's going to get a reputation for being a rogue company and find its IP range blocklisted. If a company like Verizon is harboring spam-spewing computers, no one is going to blocklist their entire dynamic IP range. They'd take flack for blocking too much legitimate email. (No one except SORBS would, anyway, but you'd be insane to depend on SORBS to filter your email.)
AlphaCentauri
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Postby meep » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:06 pm

Also what constitutes an ISP, so many have overlaps and so on. I will have to take a closer at look at who they are describing. I noticed break downs my nations, but even some ISPs are located in different countries, so figuring that out can be confusing to an observant outsider.
meep
Spammers' Nightmare

Postby AlphaCentauri » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:09 pm

I tend to doubt they thought about it that hard :(
AlphaCentauri
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Return to Botnets, Hijacks and Hacking