Nigerians abusing relay services for the Deaf

Any information or research into the rampant "Nigerian Scam" messages.

Nigerians abusing relay services for the Deaf

Postby AlphaCentauri » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:00 pm

A relay service employs operators who act as intermediaries in calls between Deaf consumers using video phones or TDD (like teletype) and people with standard voice telephone lines. Ideally, they just interpret and transmit exactly what each party says verbatim, so it becomes as much as possible like a call between two end users using a single communication medium.

Did you know Nigerian scammers are abusing these services, making the operators interpret their calls to people they want to scam? Did you know those services are subsidized by taxpayers? Did you know that the companies running them, who are paid by the minute, have no protocol to tell their operators how to deal with scammers? And that they will fire an operator who feels he/she cannot in good conscience participate in a scam and who disconnects a scammer who is making one call after another trying to find a victim?

The operators have a forum where they complain about it here:
http://relayscams.aimoo.com/Nigerian-Sc ... 44022.html
AlphaCentauri
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Re: Nigerians abusing relay services for the Deaf

Postby tacoma43 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:38 pm

I wonder if any of those employers know the meaning of the terms "aiding and abetting" and "extortion"?
tacoma43
Spam Reporter

Postby meep » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:10 am

Though those forum entries are old (2006), but I bet this scam still goes on. After reading some commentary there, it is sad to think the operators who do that line of work would lose their jobs if they spoke out indicating certain calls are fraudulent :roll:
meep
Spammers' Nightmare

Postby wahnula » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:26 am

Not only is that forum old, it appears to be abandoned. Going through the posts shows many that have nothing but comment spam since 2008. Still an interesting subject and one I was completely unaware existed.
wahnula
Spam Reporter

Postby tacoma43 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:12 am

In that case, maybe the employers [i]did[/d] know the meanings of those terms, and that they, as well as their employees, were all guilty of perpetrating the fraud just as much as the fraudsters were.
tacoma43
Spam Reporter

Return to Advance-Fee Fraud [419 Fraud]