Africa Could Become The Cybercrime Capital Of The World

Any information or research into the rampant "Nigerian Scam" messages.

Postby meep » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:01 am

I hate to say this sounds very 2005ish, but some of it does to me at least, when thinking about the growth of 419 scams or other its advance fee fraud variants.

According to a report presented on Cybersecurity at Cote D’Ivoire in 2008, cyber crime in Africa is growing faster than on any other continent. While estimates say that about 80 percent of PCs in the African continent are already infected with viruses and other malicious software, the more worrying news for cybersecurity experts is that broadband services are opening in the continent, which means more users would be able to access the web, translating into more viruses and spam from online fraudsters in Africa. ...
meep
Spammers' Nightmare

Re: Africa Could Become The Cybercrime Capital Of The World

Postby AlphaCentauri » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:36 pm

It's sad for Africans. It is easy to block all internet traffic from countries that are still not economically powerful enough for people to care about making contacts there. They'll just end up isolated, and it will hamper their economic development even further. South Africa is an exception, but their hosting companies tend to be very proactive about abuse from my experience.
AlphaCentauri
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Return to Advance-Fee Fraud [419 Fraud]