I think I'm in love....

Any information or research into the rampant "Nigerian Scam" messages.

I think I'm in love....

Postby BillyShaft » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:59 am

I recently reported one of my pet 419 lads to BTinternet.com and look what I got back:

Dear Mr Shaft

Thank you for your email dated 16th February to the BT Customer Security Team. I am sorry to hear about the inconvenience you have had with unsolicited email and I can understand how frustrating this can be.
Thank you for bring it to our attention, we have now barred the e-mail account in question and 45 other associated accounts..

If you use Microsoft software, I would also like to bring to your attention the importance of installing any necessary security updates from Microsoft. You can see the available patches at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com. Also, a useful tool that Microsoft have provided can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/securi ... ahome.mspx

At BT we are consistently looking at ways to improve the service we offer our customers. As part of this we have put together an online questionnaire about your experience of dealing with the BT Customer Security Team which we would like you to complete. The questionnaire can be found at the following URL: http://home.btconnect.com/btquestionnaire and will only take a few minutes of your time. Your feedback will help us improve the service we offer you.

Once again, thank you for your email and I hope that the information I have supplied has been of help to you today. Should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me again via e-mail by replying to this mail or by calling the Customer Security Team on 0808 100 4332 (8am - 8pm, Monday to Friday and 10am - 6pm, Saturday) where one of my colleagues will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you for contacting BT,

Yours sincerely,

Nick Eccles
BT Customer Security Team
hXXp://www.bt.com/acceptableuse
http://www.getsafeonline.org/

BT is a founding member of the Internet Watch Foundation, ISP Abuse Management Forum and the Internet Content Rating Association.

*snip* Legal junk */snip*

British Telecommunications plc
Registered office: 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ Registered in England no: 1800000

BT does not accept responsibility for the content of third party web sites.

Way to go Nick Eccles over at BT! If every IT staffer took responsibility for their systems in this way, scams and spam would really be rare and short-lived.
I don't hate you; you are simply outside of my Monkeysphere...
BillyShaft
Spam Observer

Re: I think I'm in love....

Postby ahoier » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:01 pm

What domain name is BTInternet? @BTInternet.com I personally haven't seen any 419 using that address is quite some time :) But glad to hear they took out their trash! :)
ahoier
Spammer Killing Machine

Postby BillyShaft » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:13 pm

ahoier wrote:What domain name is BTInternet? @BTInternet.com I personally haven't seen any 419 using that address is quite some time :) But glad to hear they took out their trash! :)

I believe they are a part of British Telecomm...my lads use them every so often, but with the cost being this high I suspect they will move back to hotmail/gmail/yahoo. :silthumb:
BillyShaft
Spam Observer

Postby ahoier » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:27 pm

Do they offer free email address service? My concern is, why would your lads be using a "paid" mail account for criminal use....when certainly, they could be tracked, based on their payment method (Most ISPs require check/credit/debit....AFAIK)? Kind of awkward....unless they are using "others" hijacked btinternet hijacked accounts, to mail in their name (essentially, causing legitimate users to get their accounts closed?).
ahoier
Spammer Killing Machine

Postby spamislame » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:32 pm

BTinternet partnered with Yahoo Mail a few years ago. If you have a UK ip address, btinternet.com is one of the domains you can choose when you set up a new Yahoo Mail account. I had previously been reporting these directly to Yahoo.

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Postby ahoier » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:22 pm

ahh ok. so Yahoo basically is handling BTInternet's mail exchanges. Sounds similar to the old "SBCYahoo!" years ago, advertising $14.99/month all over the Yahoo homepage.
ahoier
Spammer Killing Machine

Postby BillyShaft » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:52 pm

ahoier wrote:Do they offer free email address service? My concern is, why would your lads be using a "paid" mail account for criminal use....when certainly, they could be tracked, based on their payment method (Most ISPs require check/credit/debit....AFAIK)? Kind of awkward....unless they are using "others" hijacked btinternet hijacked accounts, to mail in their name (essentially, causing legitimate users to get their accounts closed?).

My error; sorry I was not clear...

By "cost", I meant that the cost of losing 46 accounts full of in-process 419 scams has got to be a huge hit to my ladling. That makes me all warm and fuzzy inside just imagining how many hours of "work" I ruined for this criminal. :mrgreen:
BillyShaft
Spam Observer

Return to Advance-Fee Fraud [419 Fraud]