Interview with a [convicted, 419] scammer – Part One

Any information or research into the rampant "Nigerian Scam" messages.

Interview with a [convicted, 419] scammer – Part One

Postby spamislame » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:50 pm

http://www.scam-detectives.co.uk/blog/2 ... -part-one/

John: I'm 23 years old and was released from prison in Nigeria in October last year where I served two years for fraud. I am now doing a business studies course at college and am in the UK on a student exchange programme. As part of my rehabilitation I am also working with the EFCC in Nigeria to help them understand more about scams and how the gangs work. I don't do scams any more.

Via Slashdot.

An interesting read...

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Slashdot Interview With a Convicted 419 Scammer

Postby meep » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:51 pm

Slashdot Link: Interview With a Convicted 419 Scammer

Interview with a scammer – Part One

"Scam awareness website www.scam-detectives.co.uk has published a two part interview with convicted Nigerian 419 scammer, 'John.' 'John' talks about his experiences of scam victims, how he gains their trust and convinces them to part with their money, and how he would go back for another 'bite' after the original scam, posing as a law enforcement official who has apprehended the scammer and recovered the funds ... for a fee, of course."
meep
Spammers' Nightmare

Re: Interview with a [convicted, 419] scammer – Part One

Postby spamislame » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Merged.

Also worth noting: the interviewer is not a trained journalist, and he takes some criticism for that via the Slashdot comments. I still think it's worth reading because it really lays bare precisely their methods, from the types of messages they send to the whole "ladder" process of siphoning up as much money from their victims as they can.

I don't buy this whole "I had to feed my family" nonsense when he starts off by boasting about having a BMW and a new apartment. There's feeding your family and there's greed. Pick a lane.

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Postby meep » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:32 pm

oops, :lol: posted close to the same time, I thought it was an interested read, particularly about their levels of participants in the 419 scams.
meep
Spammers' Nightmare

Postby Amouse » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:26 pm

Ug. Someone calling himself a scam detective got angry with something that he already knew. But any exposure is good exposure. Pity the author lost all creditability in the process.

--
Anony Mouse
Cell 419 A Ralsky. | J Smith.
Amouse
Spam Reporter

Return to Advance-Fee Fraud [419 Fraud]