419 Fraud meets Pharmacy Spam aftemath

Any information or research into the rampant "Nigerian Scam" messages.

419 Fraud meets Pharmacy Spam aftemath

Postby spamislame » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:11 pm

eWeek Security Watch: Scam Targets Online Pharmacy Customers
http://securitywatch.eweek.com/illegal_ ... omers.html

On Dec. 29, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warned that scammers pretending to be FDA special agents were calling customers of Internet drug pharmacies and demanding they pay a fine for buying medications online. According to the FDA, the scammers request the fine - ranging from $100 to $250,000 - be sent via wire transfer to a designated location, typically in the Dominican Republic. Those who refuse to pay are threatened with arrest, deportation and even physical harm.

"Impersonating an FDA official is a violation of federal law," said Michael Chappell, the FDA's acting associate commissioner for regulatory affairs, in a statement.

This is an interesting - and tremendously stupid - development. Part of me wishes the dumber of the recipients would actually fall for this, because it could do considerable damage to the affiliates who are mailing any variety of pharmacy spam.

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Re: 419 Fraud meets Pharmacy Spam aftemath

Postby lordpake » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:52 am

Frankly, I wasn't too surprised when I read about this.

My reaction was more like why didn't it happen sooner?
lordpake
Spam Reporter

Postby AlphaCentauri » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:47 am

lordpake wrote:My reaction was more like why didn't it happen sooner?

Because you don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. If a spammer could make good money as a pharma affiliate, even if he gets booted off one program, he's only hurting himself by doing something that undermines the trust stupid people have in scam pharmacies. He's best off just finding another affiliate program and resuming making money.

The fact that someone would do this tells me that perhaps the market is saturated and there are affiliates who are finding they can't make any money, not even the occasional sale that might keep them hoping the big payout is still coming (the slot machine effect). So while they might have hacked another pharma spammer's database to steal customers before, now they're just trying to get money from them whatever way they can.
AlphaCentauri
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Postby meep » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:30 pm

Interesting find, thanks for posting the link, I hadn't seen that one.
meep
Spammers' Nightmare

Postby tacoma43 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:08 pm

AlphaCentauri wrote:... now they're just trying to get money from them whatever way they can.

We can only hope! :silthumb:
tacoma43
Spam Reporter

Return to Advance-Fee Fraud [419 Fraud]