drop off in 419 scams/uptake in those originating from yahoo

Any information or research into the rampant "Nigerian Scam" messages.

drop off in 419 scams/uptake in those originating from yahoo

Postby Ervin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:59 am

Has anyone noticed a drop off in 419 scams while also noticing an uptake of these scams being actually sent through yahoo (not just utiling yahoo drop boxes.

Over the past few days it seems that 2/3 of these scams are either utilizing yahoo's relationship with sbcglobal/att/bellsouth/swbell appear to either be using yahoo's bell servers or they've found a hole in their security.

As far as I know yahoo doesn't allow someone to send mail from their servers using a third party address unless the address has actually been verified.
Ervin
Spam Reporter

Re: drop off in 419 scams/uptake in those originating from yahoo

Postby meep » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:05 am

Good observation. No, I haven't personally noticed. If this is the case, it may also mean the scammers scatter to other free webmail services, but at least Yahoo staff may be more proactive in minimizing fraudulent efforts from its services. :!:
meep
Spammers' Nightmare

Postby spamislame » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:34 am

For the past two weeks I've seen no drop off in any usage of Yahoo Mail, and in fact have also seen new abuses of things like "send to a friend" forms on a variety of Yahoo products like Yahoo News, Yahoo Careers, Finance, etc. "Joe Spammer has sent you an article" etc. This may explain the messages you're receiving, Ervin.

Add to that:

- Greater usage of sify.com
- Greater usage of lesser known MSN Live Mail domains such as 9.cn, w.cn, i12.com, etc.
- Greater usage of far less well-known freemail providers such as inMail24.com, gazeta.pl, mailier.net, etc.
- Less frequent usage of Gmail.com, who typically shut their abused accounts down inside of 12 hours.

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Postby AlphaCentauri » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:46 am

No drop off in 419 for me at all. It's a very high percentage of my spam. It is running towards identity theft, too. This one did come from Yahoo:
Subject: WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!!VERIFY YOUR YAHOO ACCOUNT NOW!!!

Welcome! You're in.
(That was easy, huh?)

Yahoo! Mail makes you staying in touch simple (and fun).

VERIFY YOUR YAHOO ACCOUNT NOW !!

VERIFY YOUR ACCOUNT NOW!!!

Dear Yahoo Customer,      
respond urgent for your protection.reconfirm your password and User name.accounts. 

To prevent your account from closing, you will have to update it below so that we will know that it's a present useing account.
To do this, You have to click on your reply botton to reply back to this message and then you fill the informations below.

Confirm Your Identity

Yahoo! ID: .............
       Password:..............
       Your Birthday:........
       Your secret question.........
      and answer...................
   You can use the email address if only you verify(es) in your Yahoo! account to reset your password. To ensure that your account information remains accurate and secure we notify you whenever this information changes.
Regards,
Yahoo! Account Services                  
FILL THE ABOVE INFORMATIONS CORRECTLY TO AVOID YOUR ACCOUNT BLOCKED

I sure hope(es) they don't not closed my Yahoo account's thats I don't not have.
AlphaCentauri
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Postby Ervin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:42 am

spamislame wrote:For the past two weeks I've seen no drop off in any usage of Yahoo Mail, and in fact have also seen new abuses of things like "send to a friend" forms on a variety of Yahoo products like Yahoo News, Yahoo Careers, Finance, etc. "Joe Spammer has sent you an article" etc. This may explain the messages you're receiving, Ervin.

Add to that:

- Greater usage of sify.com
- Greater usage of lesser known MSN Live Mail domains such as 9.cn, w.cn, i12.com, etc.
- Greater usage of far less well-known freemail providers such as inMail24.com, gazeta.pl, mailier.net, etc.
- Less frequent usage of Gmail.com, who typically shut their abused accounts down inside of 12 hours.

SiL

I may have done a poor job of explaining things... my apologies

while my overall 419 scams have decreased I'm seeing many more of these.

To my eye it appears as if someone on a Russian ISP (91.122.198.36 - abuse@atnet.ru, info@cert.ru) sent this crud through yahoo.

Note that they are a sbcglobal.net (doubtful that it's forged as yahoo doesn't allow the use of 3rd party addresses without verification)

-------------------------------------------

Return-Path: <johneasaes@sbcglobal.net>
Received: from n2.bullet.mail.re4.yahoo.com (n2.bullet.mail.re4.yahoo.com [206.190.56.21])
by mx.google.com with SMTP id 41si6786504qyk.48.2009.09.20.08.05.18;
Sun, 20 Sep 2009 08:05:18 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: neutral (google.com: 206.190.56.21 is neither permitted nor denied by domain of johneasaes@sbcglobal.net) client-ip=206.190.56.21;
DomainKey-Status: good (test mode)
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 206.190.56.21 is neither permitted nor denied by domain of johneasaes@sbcglobal.net) smtp.mail=johneasaes@sbcglobal.net; domainkeys=pass (test mode) header.From=johneasaes@sbcglobal.net
Received: from [68.142.237.89] by n2.bullet.re4.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 20 Sep 2009 15:05:18 -0000
Received: from [67.195.9.81] by t5.bullet.re3.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 20 Sep 2009 15:05:16 -0000
Received: from [67.195.9.107] by t1.bullet.mail.gq1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 20 Sep 2009 15:05:15 -0000
Received: from [127.0.0.1] by omp111.mail.gq1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 20 Sep 2009 15:05:15 -0000
X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: ymail-5
X-Yahoo-Newman-Id: 752596.57904.bm@omp111.mail.gq1.yahoo.com
Received: (qmail 72500 invoked by uid 60001); 20 Sep 2009 15:05:13 -0000
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;
s=s1024; d=sbcglobal.net;
h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Reply-To:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;
b=teFVfQ8axk96P3CTnU5uB7qLG3IvmhlraQdNP1tFMovPAD+I
x6e+3sXkt9J97T7+W9rPLk75F8y6NPeyBPJNavAjCCr7DUj3/zN
f8TScJXz6coWC0rSbxuWfpdnWCovQjy7c/UpVc9HVthoi3MA616RxYK0nJXpaDF2iT2siumg= ;
Message-ID: <20090920150513.72494.qmail@web180206.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>
X-YMail-OSG:
9jHA2BYVM1kQ0zwoDIRsMPFO3_6NoWTM09tbqmiLYgMm0Yf4
1cT31kCmiuOzDN07YwDk8SXn1mzu51M_UpjJeA9UF4oU75sci
DkBwBcAMIpVrx5xeyFRKQRMOb1nfSyJ0E0nHx0zwKsEUToykn
hKD21_d3pKUns8bZxOOF54dAry1Vpot5CWUc1rVMGOK0eQPk
VY0axY5nJ3OSuejfpG.Y5m.Eqrm1FbKTiDDZWQ2Wa8nc3cQV1
XQMHVBmTcxIJ1Fa_dFAD6Ak0W_YGztUgmR2Rsm6BHt3.rp83
aGaeSRA8Vxb7BRZqoaJDtJM0a0b5S3VUkhR3Jffb0tl0JkQJH4y
HOyQQB09PKyt8YBPWGJmdYsb6ubch7DZ5PXFukFlsS7CrOSa
p45oUPKMt_.1P_GzoGlJ9Wdho0pB.9c4iVS2LXaFDUvN9h47VF
aSkAmJt0VPvuJ3UH8mH4hn9fWyFwkrW1zBuKjdbiw--
Received: from [91.122.198.36] by web180206.mail.gq1.yahoo.com via HTTP; Sun, 20 Sep 2009 08:05:12 PDT
X-Mailer: YahooMailRC/157.18 YahooMailWebService/0.7.347.2
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 08:05:12 -0700 (PDT)
Reply-To: sabah ahmad <sadebe2@live.com>
To: undisclosed recipients: ;
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0-689944597-1253459112=:4203"

Assalam Alaikum..My Beloved

I am Mrs. Sabah Ahmad a citizen of Kuwait but currently residing in the United Kingdom. I was married to Late Sheikh Mubarak of blessed memory who was an oil explorer in Kuwait and Angola for twelve years before he died in the year 2000. We were married for twelve years without a child; he died after a brief illness that lasted for only four days. Since his death I too have been battling with both Cancer and fibroid problems. When my late Husband was alive he deposited a substantial amount of money worth US$8.5Million with a bank in the United Kingdom which I inherited after his death.

Recently, my doctor told me that I have only 2 ulmonth to live due to my ailment. Having known my condition, I have donated my estates and few other properties to some Charity organizations in London, United Arab Emirates and Kuwait. Now that my health has deteriorated so badly, I cannot continue to do this by myself any more. I then said to myself that I must reach out to the world via this communication means by finding a kind hearted person that will continue where I stopped. I decided to donate this fund to either a
charity/orphanage home or devoted God fearing individual that will utilize this money the way I am going to instruct therein. I want this organization or individual to use this money in all sincerity to fund charity homes (motherless homes), orphanages, and widows. I took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this money and my husbands relatives are into radical organization and I don't want a situation where this money will be used! In an unholy manner, hence the rear

I don't need any telephone communication in this regard because of my health condition which has seriously affected my speech and also because of the presence of my husband's relatives around me always. I don't want them to know about this development. As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you further directives on what to do and how to go about actualizing this project. I will also instruct my lawyer to file an application on your behalf to the bank where the funds were deposited for the transfer of the money to you for this purpose. I want you to always pray for me. Any delay in your reply will give room in sourcing for an organization or a devoted Individual for this same purpose. You can contact me through my private email: sadebe2@live.com

Until I hear from you by email; my dreams will rest squarely on your shoulders.

Remain blessed,
Mrs. Sabah Ahmad
Ervin
Spam Reporter

Postby Ervin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:45 am

AlphaCentauri wrote:No drop off in 419 for me at all. It's a very high percentage of my spam. It is running towards identity theft, too. This one did come from Yahoo:

I know of three people whom received this particular scam -- including myself. I can't believe their gull but perhaps their ignorance is their strength. But what I'd really like to know is that if Nigeria is supposedly educated -- whom educated these rocket scientists
Ervin
Spam Reporter

Postby meep » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:16 pm

I can't believe their gull but perhaps their ignorance is their strength. But what I'd really like to know is that if Nigeria is supposedly educated -- whom educated these rocket scientists

Due to the fact that Nigeria has high rates of poverty, it makes sense that small numbers of criminals are considered middle class or wealthy are actually behind the 419 scams. And those who are middle-class or wealthy in Nigeria have access to education. Whether or not they are clever or stupid is another matter. I am sure among the Nigerian criminal element the intelligence levels vary considerably. Because as you can imagine the poorest of the poor in Nigeria would not even have electricity, let alone a laptop or computer. Though we know the Nigerian scammers work in Internet cafes, they probably have access to computers online elsewhere. If you haven't go to YouTube and plug in 419 or Nigerian scam and you will find plenty of news stories about these scammers.
meep
Spammers' Nightmare

Postby Ervin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:15 pm

meep wrote:
I can't believe their gull but perhaps their ignorance is their strength. But what I'd really like to know is that if Nigeria is supposedly educated -- whom educated these rocket scientists

Due to the fact that Nigeria has high rates of poverty, it makes sense that small numbers of criminals are considered middle class or wealthy are actually behind the 419 scams. And those who are middle-class or wealthy in Nigeria have access to education. Whether or not they are clever or stupid is another matter. I am sure among the Nigerian criminal element the intelligence levels vary considerably. Because as you can imagine the poorest of the poor in Nigeria would not even have electricity, let alone a laptop or computer. Though we know the Nigerian scammers work in Internet cafes, they probably have access to computers online elsewhere. If you haven't go to YouTube and plug in 419 or Nigerian scam and you will find plenty of news stories about these scammers.

While there's no doubt poverty in Nigeria, they're not exactly Somalia (Which I visited in the early 80's)

The country is located in West Africa and shares land borders with the Republic of Benin in the west, Chad and Cameroon in the east, and Niger in the north. Its coast lies on the Gulf of Guinea, a part of the Atlantic Ocean, in the south. The capital city is Abuja. The three largest and most influential ethnic groups in Nigeria are the Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba.

Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa and the eighth most populous country in the world, and with a population of over 150 million it is the most populous 'black' country in the world. It is a regional power, is listed among the "Next Eleven" economies, and is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations. The economy of Nigeria is one of the fastest growing in the world, with the International Monetary Fund projecting a growth of 9% in 2008 and 8.3% in 2009.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria

Many of them do have laptops, and dialup accounts and etc and etc while others do not.
Ervin
Spam Reporter

Postby spamislame » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:38 pm

Ervin wrote:I may have done a poor job of explaining things... my apologies

To my eye it appears as if someone on a Russian ISP (91.122.198.36 - abuse@atnet.ru, info@cert.ru) sent this crud through yahoo.

Aha. That's different.

Is the address at which you're receiving these messages a Yahoo Mail account?

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Postby Ervin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:46 pm

spamislame wrote:
Ervin wrote:I may have done a poor job of explaining things... my apologies

Aha. That's different.

Is the address at which you're receiving these messages a Yahoo Mail account?

SiL

For the most part I get this crud on gmail, I do get a few of these types on yahoo every now and then. Earlier I was attempt to artiulate that they're actually utilizing yahoo mail servers
Ervin
Spam Reporter

Postby spamislame » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:21 am

Ervin wrote:For the most part I get this crud on gmail, I do get a few of these types on yahoo every now and then. Earlier I was attempt to artiulate that they're actually utilizing yahoo mail servers

Okay. The reason I ask is: spammers love to purchase and use what are known as "internal mailers", i.e. software which logs in to Yahoo Mail as a bogus user, forges headers, and sends spam. (Sending from "within" Yahoo - as only one example - thus "internal".) They do this because Yahoo is able to stop relayed spam. This software sends appropriate mail headers to the Yahoo mail interface so it appears to them that the "user" is actually using their web interface. This allegedly allows them to evade spam filters more frequently, since it appears to actually come from Yahoo, even though the headers are still forged.

Previously this process was only used to send from a Yahoo address to a Yahoo address, but I know for a fact that many of these scumbags were working on a means of getting that to work more broadly.

The process also involves auto-registering thousands of bogus Yahoo Mail accounts to act as the "from" addresses.

This would potentially explain what you are seeing.

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Postby Ervin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:15 pm

spamislame wrote:
Ervin wrote:For the most part I get this crud on gmail, I do get a few of these types on yahoo every now and then. Earlier I was attempt to artiulate that they're actually utilizing yahoo mail servers

Okay. The reason I ask is: spammers love to purchase and use what are known as "internal mailers", i.e. software which logs in to Yahoo Mail as a bogus user, forges headers, and sends spam. (Sending from "within" Yahoo - as only one example - thus "internal".) They do this because Yahoo is able to stop relayed spam. This software sends appropriate mail headers to the Yahoo mail interface so it appears to them that the "user" is actually using their web interface. This allegedly allows them to evade spam filters more frequently, since it appears to actually come from Yahoo, even though the headers are still forged.

Previously this process was only used to send from a Yahoo address to a Yahoo address, but I know for a fact that many of these scumbags were working on a means of getting that to work more broadly.

The process also involves auto-registering thousands of bogus Yahoo Mail accounts to act as the "from" addresses.

This would potentially explain what you are seeing.

SiL

Thanks for the info. I believe you may be correct as I'm aware of yahoopop which although is for legitimate desiring to use a mail client such as Outlook Express. One thing that I noticed the headers didn't contain was the authentication keys from yahoo - which seemed rather odd - the other thing that caught my eye was they all seemed to utilize an AT&T drop box -- bellsouth.net, att.net, swbell.net, sbcglobal.net for bounceback purposes. With the exception of the one example I posted they all appeared to originate from a West African ISP logon.

I always report to the second line in the header which is usually displays where the spammer is actually logged on from. In short I report the bounceback address, the reply to address, the originating ISP and the mail server/open relay/open proxy and any address(es) in the body of the scam.

Although I did in fact report every single bounceback address to AT&T due to the fact that I had no way of knowing whether or not they were fictitious or that AT&T has a number of compromised accounts that have had addresses created to avoid blow-back. In addition, at one time SBCglobal and yahoo at one time had a business relationship wherein yahoo handled SBCGlobal's mail.

Please let me know if I should be doing something differently from what I'm doing?
Ervin
Spam Reporter

Postby Ervin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:44 pm

This is pretty much what I'm getting

Return-Path: <grif2696@bellsouth.net>
Received: from n67.bullet.mail.sp1.yahoo.com (n67.bullet.mail.sp1.yahoo.com [98.136.44.47])
by mx.google.com with SMTP id 38si723354pxi.33.2009.09.21.12.27.41;
Mon, 21 Sep 2009 12:27:41 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: neutral (google.com: 98.136.44.47 is neither permitted nor denied by domain of grif2696@bellsouth.net) client-ip=98.136.44.47;
DomainKey-Status: no key
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 98.136.44.47 is neither permitted nor denied by domain of grif2696@bellsouth.net) smtp.mail=grif2696@bellsouth.net; domainkeys=neutral (no key) header.From=grif2696@bellsouth.net
Received: from [69.147.84.144] by n67.bullet.mail.sp1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 21 Sep 2009 19:27:40 -0000
Received: from [69.147.65.167] by t6.bullet.mail.sp1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 21 Sep 2009 19:27:40 -0000
Received: from [127.0.0.1] by omp502.mail.sp1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 21 Sep 2009 19:27:39 -0000
X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: ymail-3
X-Yahoo-Newman-Id: 936228.76397.bm@omp502.mail.sp1.yahoo.com
Received: (qmail 45039 invoked by uid 60001); 21 Sep 2009 19:27:39 -0000
DomainKey-Signature:a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;
s=s1024; d=bellsouth.net;
h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;
b=OKRx2dcWnTYssX98uFVBScbbvst1fpN2zhJdpyKloiCwzvwWm6o0Db9hzVIv6nVJ37SEupH7HpFQo3Bt+Whsin6MRLfMekGac6+v/pCxAdnE7VvXHr1/u828uEuQZUnxeVB6fF7el5YZKrZFposXEudC/SggF4eMyJDd6vcvAwY=;
Message-ID: <663792.43961.qm@web83810.mail.sp1.yahoo.com>
X-YMail-OSG: Xplu2J0VM1kpIG9lkXz5da.vhA2qd5tXvJguV5aF01CIp3c9Y3i104Il9jCF71PSg92I_wuvSaZfjSvcR2MMuzQUM.IBOF68cHnj57OpmQGFjD9m02W2WHabT5F1WUrpqCoyqGT1YnxqHIQxom1TBZUmgdqutxG6F47Dfiven_Jxi4HHE9m60elXc2QcC24cgK.O.TOPCHAWGu6ppFR1IZ5E9zudYaA2p4MpPmr5SyxUzjjZ7.ynamq5mYRhR8WEgZLl57h_MzMVxOj59S7xqZarMrCXtWrvhWZGC5NOVOBLgw69sgyZDWRNv0lte9gk3IiGe1Qhk1F0QbRP3FWQfQ9AvyQhw_EhBs5QRtRFy5FwJP.A18ZJEPaakOLDpjpOzjKUhZUUk_2JeeVMwMI8k7vbe5DUMuvKt7M0Ly10jTs-
Received: from [196.1.177.169] by web83810.mail.sp1.yahoo.com via HTTP; Mon, 21 Sep 2009 12:27:39 PDT
X-Mailer: YahooMailClassic/7.0.14 YahooMailWebService/0.7.347.2
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 12:27:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Important information
To: undisclosed recipients: ;
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0-966763669-1253561259=:43961"

Concern, the United Nations development program
(UNDP), in conjunction with the society for family
Health (SFH) and the European Union (EU), is
Giving out a yearly donation of US$500,000.00 to 40
Lucky beneficiaries as charity donation,
You are to provide the following details to this email
a soon as possible
Contact person
Mrs. Maria Carolla
undp101@live.com
With the following
Name:
Contact Address:
Sex:
Direct Tel:
Marital status:
Nationality:
Once again congratulation’s!!
Regards
Mrs. Helen Clark
Ervin
Spam Reporter

Postby spamislame » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:42 pm

What a confusing set of headers. (Partly why I usually just completely disregard them.)

That line that says "is neither permitted nor denied by domain of" is a giveaway that they used a GMail smtp server, which actually can be used by any smtp mailing software.

However the key header which identifies who actually processed the mail request is a Yahoo header:

Code: Select all
Message-ID: <663792.43961.qm@web83810.mail.sp1.yahoo.com>

So again: most likely 99% forged with that message id as the only real one.

Either way: the best way to shut this down is to report the live.com address to Hotmail.

Do so at the following addresses (use all four, it's the ONLY way it actually gets the address shut down):

report_spam@hotmail.com
report_spam@msn.com
abuse@msn.com
abuse@hotmail.com

Make sure to mention the laws that the message is breaking, and that Hotmail can be held criminally accountable since they are providing the mechanism to engage in the crime.

(In this case that crime is criminal misrepresentation.)

I know that sounds like a lame response but as I mentioned elsewhere I am approaching a 90% shutdown rate. It makes their lives hell because they have to start all over again with a new account.

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Return to Advance-Fee Fraud [419 Fraud]