Boing-Boing has an honest chat w/ a 419-scammer

Any information or research into the rampant "Nigerian Scam" messages.

Boing-Boing has an honest chat w/ a 419-scammer

Postby MyCanadian Spammerdeath » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:02 pm

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/03/22/honest-dialog-with-a.html
Only on our site you will find a SPICE under the comprehensible prices!
MyCanadian Spammerdeath
Spammer Exterminator

Re: Boing-Boing has an honest chat w/ a 419-scammer

Postby spamislame » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:12 pm

There's a very lengthy update on this which is making the rounds.

http://onlinearmorpersonalfirewall.blog ... ve-to.html

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Postby meep » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:14 pm

:lol:
meep
Spammers' Nightmare

Postby HansTheBlueFrog » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:21 pm

Funny, but also sad. It says a lot about the human condition. They lack any sense of morality, and are prepared to commit any crime based on their personal sense of entitlement. They are the ultimate example of narcissistic personality. But then, we already knew that. Don’t worry. I’m not about to go soft on these criminals.:sad:

Hans
HansTheBlueFrog
Spam Investigator

Postby Ervin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:35 pm

HansTheBlueFrog wrote:Funny, but also sad. It says a lot about the human condition. They lack any sense of morality, and are prepared to commit any crime based on their personal sense of entitlement. They are the ultimate example of narcissistic personality. But then, we already knew that. Don’t worry. I’m not about to go soft on these criminals.:sad:

Hans

I couldn't agree more with you. However, the question I keep asking myself over and over again is why do so called victims continually fall for this crap? Are the dysfunctional? Do they lack the common sense of a gnat? Some of these so called victims are quite successful and if someone walked up to them on the street (speaking broken English?) and asked them to cash a check for say 16.5 million dollars on the promise they could keep half if only they would give the $500 as a display of good faith while they waited outside the bank for them to cash the check they would no doubt call the police or ignore them and yet 50,000 fools a month are easy pickings for these douche bags. I'm simply amazed and in a way hold them with the same contempt I hold the 419'ers.
Ervin
Spam Reporter

Postby Devilwolf » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:25 pm

@Ervin
1) 50% of the population has an in IQ under 100

2) In the western countries there is a huge demographic of senior citizens, and for some reason seniors are more likely to fall for scams even when they are blatantly obvious (like the stories of old people who flew to florida to personally drop off their "winning" Publishers Clearing House ticket... My 71 yearold boss is a retired district attorney - he prosecuted crooks, murders, and con men for 15 years. But I still have to slap him up side the head to stop him from clicking on those "You've Won a $500 Macy Gift Card" banner ads. Any time he see the word "FREE" or "WON" or "COMPLIMENTARY" his brain just turns to mush...

3) 10% to 20% of the population is unemployed or underemployed.

So in the US, you have 50% of the population with an IQ under 100, and 12% of the population is senior citizens. and 10-20% un(der)employed...

That is a pretty target rich environment for a scammer...
Devilwolf
Spam Observer

Postby AlphaCentauri » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:06 pm

Devilwolf wrote:50% of the population has an in IQ under 100

Actually, it's not that bad. It's designed to be a bell curve. So 2/3 of the population has an IQ too close to 100 to be meaningfully different from one another.

Unfortunately, IQ doesn't always predict gullibility. Mentally retarded people raised in tough neighborhoods survive by being overly suspicious. People of normal intelligence raised with little contact with people outside their own affluent community may be too willing to believe in the proverbial free lunch. And the fact is that there really are instances were people miss out on amazing opportunities because they don't open an envelope or answer a phone call, rare as it may be. Once you throw in the belief in luck or the power of prayer, gullibility cuts a wide swath through the population.
AlphaCentauri
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Postby meep » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:20 am

Actually, it's not that bad. It's designed to be a bell curve. So 2/3 of the population has an IQ too close to 100 to be meaningfully different from one another. ...

Devilwolf could be cynical about human nature as I sometimes am. :lol: I have fallen for scams also and I probably am of average intelligence (at least I hope I am). I am loathe to admit it, but it has happened to me, just not the online variety. :evil:

Sometimes extreme desperation can colour some people's common sense as already mentioned here.
meep
Spammers' Nightmare

Postby Devilwolf » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:57 pm

meep wrote:Devilwolf could be cynical about human nature as I sometimes am. :lol: I have fallen for scams also and I probably am of average intelligence (at least I hope I am). I am loathe to admit it, but it has happened to me, just not the online variety.

same here, between the ages of 16 and 22 I probably lost hundreds of dollars to get rich quick schemes, romance scams (gal at work pretended to like me and would ask to borrow money, accused me of harassing her when I wanted to be paid back), street hustlers, lost a $100 in bar when I though a gal was feeling me up on the dance floor... she was picking my pocket, fake lotteries, timeshare "prizes", phone service slamming, etc.

One of my friends lost her job a few months ago because she fell for a Toner Phoner scam on her 1st week on the job, even though toner phoner is almost as ancient a scam as 419ing.
Devilwolf
Spam Observer

Postby meep » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:04 pm

A really great resource for jobs scam spam is PhishBucket.org
http://www.phishbucket.org/

It is very sad to learn about someone losing their job due to a scam of any type. :roll:

I did not know the term "Toner Phoner" scam, so I found this:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/51 ... 34037.html

Takeaway: Con artists are costing IT enterprises a bundle every year. Make your company scam-resistant by alerting your users to common IT scams, such as the "phoner toner," which preys on untrained employees with slick talk and promises of low, low prices.

I tend to call such an effort social engineering, where one targets a company with a series of phone calls in order to phish personal information about employees, inside company info, etc. It is interesting the various terminology to describe is always useful to refer to as such scams are very common to many companies and individuals who are conned. I would guess trying to rip people off by selling cheap goods is just another typical scam, just I never gave that type of scam much thought previously.

The old adage works well for most of this stuff: "If it is too good to be true, then it probably is. " ...
meep
Spammers' Nightmare

Postby kabo0m » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:24 pm

Wow I am finding this thread very interesting and educational. I mean I have never fallen for any scams and have an IQ at about 120 but it seems everyone around me (including every single person in my family) falls for scams so easily. Someone has to be on top of things and inform them. I only got interested in what is behind the scenes of scamming and spam because I almost fell for a job scam .. that is until the fake money order came in.

But as for the "Phoner Toner" .. never heard of that one! At least not by that name. Just last year my work mentioned it. They didn't warn or teach us about it but I overheard one of the office staff talking about how someone fell for that. That is how I learned about it but I didn't know it by that name.
kabo0m
Spam Reporter

419 or money mule from rocketmail user

Postby Red Dwarf » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:36 pm

I received one spam. Looking up the "Reply-to" I discovered it was one of 2400 listed abusers from rocketmail.com, so I reported it to the abuse reporting address -
I received a 419 or money mule recruiting attempt from user
From: "Aibel Group Limited (UK)" <no-reply@consultant.com>
Importance: Normal
Sensitivity: Normal
Message-ID: <W7425930533136301296874356@webmail5>
X-Mailer: Network Solutions Webmail, Build 11.2.30
X-Originating-IP: [189.113.64.24]
X-Forwarded-For: [41.220.69.9]
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 02:52:36 +0000
Organization: Aibel Group Limited (UK)
Subject: Hello
Reply-to: edmadsen001@rocketmail.com

Google search on edmadsen001@rocketmail.com leads to
http://www.419scam.org/419-rocketmail-com.htm

There is a list of 2,400 rocketmail accounts used and abused in a similar manner.
Please remove the miscreant who tried to defraud me, and examine the abuse list at that link with a view to terminating them, too, as applicable.

The scam spam contained
Aibel Group Limitied
Human Resource Department
Bedford Road
Petersfield
Hampshire GU32 3QB
UK

TEL: +44704 570 0634
Ref: 01/011/HRD/AGL

JOB ALERT!

Aibel,a well established and reputable oil/gas service company with rapidly
growing wide network of outlets around the world, seeks to attract resourceful
individuals craving for a refreshing opportunity yet characteristically
possesses the skill and uprightness to excellently deliver amidst limited
assistance.

JOB LOCATION
-Africa
-Europe(UK)
-Asia

METHOD OF APPLICATION
- All interested candidates should reply via mail with updated Resumes (CV).
- Only applicants who possess the required qualifications will be short-listed
whence consequently contacted.

All Resumes should be fowarded to:
hr.dept055@consultant.com
For further recruiting procedures to be taking on your appointment with Abiel
Service Company.

Best Regards,
Lois Roberta
HR Department,
Recruitmet section
Abiel Service Company.

Evidence of fraud