F-Secure: Cyberwar Crops Up Again

Reports and investigations into Distributed Denial of Service attacks.

F-Secure: Cyberwar Crops Up Again

Postby spamislame » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:26 am

http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001788.html

A report on a talk given by Ed Skoudis at the Hack-In-The-Box conference in Kuala Lumpur.

There's been talk that some countries are leaning towards viewing cyber attacks as being on par with a traditional kinetic attack (i.e., involving nukes, guns and blood), and possibly requiring appropriate military responses.

Yet, there is no consensus on what constitutes a significant attack – one power grid control station taken down? A town’s Internet access shut down? Or, as one of our Analysts put in, "what would *really* constitute a digital 9/11?"

One of Skoudis's contentions is that an attack that takes down an entire country's Internet access is fundamentally similar to a blockade, which is historically accepted as an act of war. The 2007 attacks on Estonia spring to mind. Is that really an accurate, legally acceptable premise though? Can an online attack really cause significant damage to an entire nation's trade/economy/social structure?

There's also a PDF file here which goes into much greater detail.

Interesting story.

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Re: F-Secure: Cyberwar Crops Up Again

Postby AlphaCentauri » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:47 am

You also have to consider acts of war carried out by nations against nations, and acts of terrorism carried out by groups too small to constitute any realistic military threat, meant to have effects out of proportion to their strength based on the sheer randomness of who is harmed, i.e., you don't have to be able to harm everyone if you can manage to make everyone afraid of being harmed.
AlphaCentauri
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Postby meep » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:23 pm

Cool find, I didn't know see this one or that there was a Hack-In-The-Box conference in Kuala Lumpur. :wink:
meep
Spammers' Nightmare

Postby spamislame » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:52 pm

meep wrote:Cool find, I didn't know see this one or that there was a Hack-In-The-Box conference in Kuala Lumpur. :wink:

It was in Dubai last year, Malaysia before that, etc.

http://conference.hackinthebox.org/

I think I want to go to that. :)

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Return to Denial of Service Attacks [DDOS]