Protonmail and other Encryption providers

Reports and investigations into Distributed Denial of Service attacks.

Protonmail and other Encryption providers

Postby Red Dwarf » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:06 pm

For the past week, Protonmail has been hit with a DDOS attack, thought to be consistent with the methodology usually employed by state actors rather than your common garden variety script kiddies.

What sets Protonmail apart is their provision of a totally secure end-to-end encryption capability for email, encryption with no back-doors. That means that even when served with a court summons or an interception request, there is nothing they can do to comply.

There are some serious opponents of effective encryption in both US and UK. It would be unlikely that such an attack was from street kids.
Firms are being leaned on not to provide such services

ProtonMail co-founder Andy Yen described it as a “co-ordinated assault” on his ISP of more than 100Gbps, hitting not only the Swiss data center but routers in various locations where the ISP has nodes —shutting out many other services, not just ProtonMail’s email. Attempts to prevent effective encryption have been stepped up since NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden disclosed the extent and scope of their mass surveillance programs — including efforts to compromise or circumvent encryption.

Protonmail even paid a ransom demand, ($6000 in BitCoin) but to no avail. One can speculate whether the demand came from one of the perpetrators, or somebody jumping on the bandwagon, out to make a quick killing. Paying blackmail in such situations is never a bright idea.
Red Dwarf
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Re: Protonmail and other Encryption providers

Postby Red Dwarf » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:40 pm

Also attacked this week are these providers of secure email services

Somebody does not like secure, encrypted communications.
Red Dwarf

Postby Red Dwarf » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:02 pm

https://blogs.akamai.com/2015/11/operat ... ctive.html

Akamai and other sources attribute DDOS + Bitcoin ransom demands to two copycat groups
    DD4BC
    Armada Collective
@Neomailbox wrote:Neomailbox has received threats of a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack from "Armada Collective"
Red Dwarf

Postby Red Dwarf » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:22 pm

Red Dwarf wrote: November 7
For the past week, Protonmail has been hit with a DDOS attack, thought to be consistent with the methodology usually employed by state actors rather than your common garden variety script kiddies.

Let's see if we can make some sense of this.
Six email encryption services came under simultaneous DDOS attacks, causing them to go down for varying periods of time. The attacks carried on until November 11.

On November 12 and 13 there were 3 simultaneous terrorist attacks, in Paris, Beirut and Istanbul, although that last one was detected and foiled.

Here is a possible and credible interpretation.

Leading up to November 4 there were interceptions made on email communications that revealed plans for pending terrorist attacks in some major cities. Then the communications went "dark". Interceptions based on senders and recipients were suddenly unsuccessful due to an encryption which could not be broken, because they started using one or more of the most popular encryption services. To ensure a continuation of successful interceptions, it was necessary to quickly shut down all of the top encryption service providers, so that more intelligence could be gathered on the "who, where and when" for these forthcoming attacks.

Intelligence had already determined that Paris was a target, which explains why it was on high alert, and why a practice drill for a multi-location terrorist attack was taking place in Paris on the morning of the actual attacks that took place in the evening.

I don't believe in coincidences.
Red Dwarf

Postby spamislame » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:51 pm

That's actually interesting, but then causes all kind of other questions to pop into my head.

I'm intrigued to see if this ever makes its way into the news.

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Return to Denial of Service Attacks [DDOS]