Mailers unclear on deliverability issues

Did you receive an insanely stupid spam message? Or yet another spam message with (!!) no URL? Post it here so we can continue to laugh at mentally-challenged spammers.

Mailers unclear on deliverability issues

Postby AlphaCentauri » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:51 am

I got an email that wasn't spam -- a reply from a senator about something I had sent an email about. But it set off my virus filter, so I had a look.

I found the offending term:
var bsl = document.body.scrollLeft;

Now, I don't enable javascript in emails in the first place, so it was a complete waste of time to include whatever he was trying to do. His reply was some vague canned reply that said very little, so it's funny he felt the need to send an email that spent more time making the message look pretty than actually dealing with the issue. But .scr is an executable file extension, so that was what triggered the false positive in my filter.
AlphaCentauri
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Re: Mailers unclear on deliverability issues

Postby Nodus » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:45 pm

AlphaCentauri wrote:I found the offending term:
var bsl = document.body.scrollLeft;
[...]
But .scr is an executable file extension, so that was what triggered the false positive in my filter.

I'd say your virus filter is a little bit paranoid there, but what do I know. Anyway, it's probably better to be a little bit paranoid than overly loose. :)

On the whole it's my opinion that javascript (et al) should never have been made executable in mail clients. But again, what do I know.
Arf, she said
Nodus
Spammer Obliterator

Re: Mailers unclear on deliverability issues

Postby AlphaCentauri » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:38 pm

Nodus wrote:I'd say your virus filter is a little bit paranoid there, but what do I know. Anyway, it's probably better to be a little bit paranoid than overly loose. :)

Yeah, I've got two versions of the same filter, depending whether the sender is whitelisted or not. It's just to give me a heads up of what kind of attachments there are. It makes it easy to sort by which filter they triggered and delete them all at once. There are also a lot recently that don't trigger any other spam filters.
AlphaCentauri
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Return to Sloppy, Lazy and Stupid Spammers