Regarding Nigerian scams...

Spammers should not profit, so post information here that hits their pockets. There are many ways to fight spammers, and we have automation tools to combat them efficiently. These forums are moderated, but do not reflect the views of the hosting company, domain registrar, etc. By entering any of these forums, you agree that you cannot hold anyone liable for anything related in any way to these forums.

Regarding Nigerian scams...

Postby spamislame » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:13 pm

Hey all...

Some interesting things I have seen lately that I thought I would mention because it leads to further interesting things. :)

a) Most of my Nigerian scams are actually from Benin Republic. I mean the vast majority (54.55% over the past eight months.) In fact the top four are Benin Republic, Nigeria, US, UK. Phone numbers also bear this out. Texas and Florida appear to be the biggest US regions that feature phone numbers in Nigerian scams.
b) Reporting the addresses has never had any significant impact on the volume. They just keep coming.
c) In many of the more recent scam messages, they're using mailer scripts hosted on hijacked servers. You can tell this by looking at the message headers. Many unprotected servers will include headers about which server ran the script, and what the script was named. Sometimes you can reconstruct the URL to find the actual mailer. This is helpful because then you can report the hacked server and get the mailer shut down. I've been successfully knocking these out since June. They really do not like it when I do that, but they also don't know it's me. So... win / win.

If any of you come across any of these mailer scripts (if you have the copious spare time to investigate that) I would definitely enjoy hearing from you, via PM if possible.

fyi,

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Re: Regarding Nigerian scams...

Postby spamislame » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:30 am

To clarify: I am basing much of this statistical data on the phone numbers I'm seeing in the scam messages.

I am seeing the following regularly:

Phone number +229 ######### = Benin Republic
Phone number +234 ######### = Nigeria
Out of only the past week's worth of scam messages, the following trend:

Benin Republic12755.95%
Nigeria3314.54%
US3013.22%
UK198.37%
South Africa31.32%
Hong Kong20.88%
Malaysia20.88%
France20.88%
Canada10.44%
Ghana10.44%
Russia10.44%
Sao Tome and Principe, West Africa10.44%
Spain10.44%
Venezuela10.44%
Cambodia10.44%
Germany10.44%
India10.44%

Via phone analysis, only.

It's now 4 out of 5 scam messages that feature at least a single phone contact. Probably because the email accounts still do get shut down pretty quickly.

I am unsure of what kind of phone tricks we could play on these morons but I'd sure love to. :)

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Postby AlphaCentauri » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:24 am

It's hard to imagine they're getting many responses when the initial contact requires a long-distance call to Africa. Most of their prime targets wouldn't know how to dial an international call in the first place.
AlphaCentauri
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Postby randy67 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:11 pm

Regarding the phone numbers, if it's a US number sometimes I use my pinger.com/textfree number to text them. Sometimes they reply.
The fake date emails with phone numbers give me more responses.
You yet did not try SPICE? Not the SPAM!!!
randy67
Spam Reporter

Return to Fight Spammers