Gmail's new outbound filtering

This is transferred to the new board at http://fraudreports.prophpbb.com
Spammers should not profit, so post information here that hits their pockets.

Gmail's new outbound filtering

Postby spamislame » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:12 pm

Interesting development.

Gmail began applying outbound content filtering to their messaging. This is good news in that anyone spamming using a gmail account for things like Nigerian scams will not get their messages delivered. Since this has been applied, I now only see Nigerian scams originating from Yahoo and Hotmail. Win!

However: My main Gmail account can no longer report spamming to anybody. My report contains the offending message and its header, and as a result: Gmail won't deliver the message. This includes any phishing urls I try to report, or any hijacked servers.

There is a process for unblocking this, but generally speaking Gmail has effectively killed off any means of reporting online badness if you want to use a Gmail account to do so.

I'm not 100% sure how this makes me feel. In a way I think it's a really, *really* significant change. The volume of my inbound Nigerian scam messages has dropped like a stone. That definitely can't be good for the Nigerian scammer "business".

I wish Yahoo would implement this. Literally nobody I know uses Yahoo Mail anymore. Everything I receive featuring any Yahoo Mail domain automatically ends up in the spam folder, that's how terrible its reputation is.

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Re: Gmail's new outbound filtering

Postby ahoier » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:50 pm

How unfortunate......I guess I will resort to spamcop reporting them....but something tells me more and more abuse departments simply send spamcop reports to /dev/null or some other "circular file" :X hah.

Long time no see guys! I've been here, off and on, in the background......something is coming along right.....I know from experience, I don't see much pharmacy spam these days.....a lot more nigerian/411 spam......little bit of counterfeit jewelery spam too.....but for the most part, not a whole lot of RX spam on my end......
ahoier
Spammer Killing Machine

Postby randy67 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:48 pm

That's good news about Gmail. I haven't seen much of a drop in 419s on my end however. Maybe less than 20%.
Don't you have your own domain you can use?
You yet did not try SPICE? Not the SPAM!!!
randy67
Spam Reporter

Postby Red Dwarf » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:05 am

STATISTICS

Of the 340 "Nigerian"-style frauds reported this week,

Microsoft accounted for 60.
Gmail accounted for 93.
Yahoo accounted for 100.
Red Dwarf
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Return to Fight Spammers