Newbie Welcome Centre

Spammers should not profit, so post information here that hits their pockets. There are many ways to fight spammers, and we have automation tools to combat them efficiently. These forums are moderated, but do not reflect the views of the hosting company, domain registrar, etc. By entering any of these forums, you agree that you cannot hold anyone liable for anything related in any way to these forums.

Re: Newbie Welcome Centre

Postby SoNic67 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Hi!
Nice finding you all! I usually use spamcop . net to report my spam, but that feels like a lonelly job, so i registered here.
I might lurk more than post, but I will be around.
SoNic67

Postby AlphaCentauri » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:00 pm

welcome! :)
AlphaCentauri
You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss!

Postby NotBuyingIt » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:42 am

Welcome, SoNic67.
NotBuyingIt
Spammer Killing Machine

Postby trobbins » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:17 am

Welcome!
trobbins
Spammers' Nightmare

Postby AllSpammersMustDie! » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:29 pm

First let me say, Where have y'all been all my life?

I stumbled onto this forum last night and subsequently fell in love whilst reading the Eva campaign and progress threads. I knew then that I had found a group I had to become involved with.

I've been working with computers since I was 13. IT as chosen career path (or it chose me). Been on the interwebs ever since algore invented them. Seems like spam was waiting for me in my very first inbox, and has been hunting me down ever since.

I have a small number of my own domains, and host a domain for a relative's software business. I also manage the email for a number of clients, as well have my own addys at some of those clients. Fighting UCE/spam/scams is a constant battle.

I've used the spamcops/cloudmarks/mailwashers in the past, with varying degrees of a feeling of success. I was also the target of a major Joe-Job (and domain spoofing) campaign a number of years ago. As my knowledge of domain spoofing and such grew, I became less enamored with these tools as I couldn't be certain that the true guilty party was the one always being reported.

I and my clients have repeatedly been the victim of "guilt by association" due to shared IPs in shared hosting (at different times and on different hosts, it doesn't seem to matter where you go).

Personally, after having had to abandon my primary addy a couple of times due to the overwhelming flood of garbage, I came to the realization that I didn't have to just have one addy. I set up a domain just for my email. Set up a catch-all to bit-bucket. Then will create a new addy for each entity (newsletter/online store/service/etc.) that I interact with. This keeps my email that I use for personal interaction separate from all the rest. It also allows me to simply unsubscribe, resubscribe with a new addy (if desired), and then bit-bucket the old addy once it begins receiving spam. The result being that I receive very little spam personally these days. I've also several times been the first to alert an entity that their db has been compromised. Aweber is "compromised" with such regularity that I'm kept will practiced in the art of swapping addys.

More recently I found knujon, and have gone back to the server to change all those bit-bucketed addys to instead forward to knujon's primary reporting addy. The logs show that knujon should be receiving a metric ton of material to work with as a result.

Not everyone has that "luxury" I know, and I still have to deal with this $4!7 at all my clients.

Seems y'all have developed the means for performing surgical strikes against the miscreants whilst reducing or altogether eliminating the collateral damage. That is something I can get behind.

I wanna help!
Last edited by AllSpammersMustDie! on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
AllSpammersMustDie!

Postby AlphaCentauri » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:32 pm

Welcome! You should have access to the members' forums now (not sure -- you might have to log in again or clear your cache).
AlphaCentauri

Postby RayVenn » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:26 pm

I didn't find a dedicated thread and didn't bother to start a new one.

I got a notification that you are cleaning the user list. If you want, you can remove me, because I have a family now and my limited resources are barely enough for necessities.
But I'm honoured that I've been part of this community. Sorry that I haven't been able to help lately.

Best wishes, RayVenn
RayVenn
Spam Investigator

Postby AlphaCentauri » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:34 pm

RayVenn wrote:I didn't find a dedicated thread and didn't bother to start a new one.

I got a notification that you are cleaning the user list. If you want, you can remove me, because I have a family now and my limited resources are barely enough for necessities.
But I'm honoured that I've been part of this community. Sorry that I haven't been able to help lately.

Best wishes, RayVenn

Oh, hell no, you don't get out of here that easily ;)
AlphaCentauri

Postby spamislame » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:45 pm

If nothing else it's nice to see people checking in based on this reminder.

Next year will be the tenth year we've been running this forum. A *LOT* has happened in the time we've been operating. I think the contribution we've made to how spam is reported and investigated has been significant. I don't mind that it's become a lot less active lately. It's a sign of how ineffective spam can be in my opinion.

Thanks for chiming in.

SiL
spamislame
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Fight Spammers