First let me say, Where have y'all been all my life?
I stumbled onto this forum last night and subsequently fell in love whilst reading the Eva campaign and progress threads. I knew then that I had found a group I had to become involved with.
I've been working with computers since I was 13. IT as chosen career path (or it chose me). Been on the interwebs ever since algore invented them. Seems like spam was waiting for me in my very first inbox, and has been hunting me down ever since.
I have a small number of my own domains, and host a domain for a relative's software business. I also manage the email for a number of clients, as well have my own addys at some of those clients. Fighting UCE/spam/scams is a constant battle.
I've used the spamcops/cloudmarks/mailwashers in the past, with varying degrees of a feeling of success. I was also the target of a major Joe-Job (and domain spoofing) campaign a number of years ago. As my knowledge of domain spoofing and such grew, I became less enamored with these tools as I couldn't be certain that the true guilty party was the one always being reported.
I and my clients have repeatedly been the victim of "guilt by association" due to shared IPs in shared hosting (at different times and on different hosts, it doesn't seem to matter where you go).
Personally, after having had to abandon my primary addy a couple of times due to the overwhelming flood of garbage, I came to the realization that I didn't have to just have one addy. I set up a domain just for my email. Set up a catch-all to bit-bucket. Then will create a new addy for each entity (newsletter/online store/service/etc.) that I interact with. This keeps my email that I use for personal interaction separate from all the rest. It also allows me to simply unsubscribe, resubscribe with a new addy (if desired), and then bit-bucket the old addy once it begins receiving spam. The result being that I receive very little spam personally these days. I've also several times been the first to alert an entity that their db has been compromised. Aweber is "compromised" with such regularity that I'm kept will practiced in the art of swapping addys.
More recently I found knujon, and have gone back to the server to change all those bit-bucketed addys to instead forward to knujon's primary reporting addy. The logs show that knujon should be receiving a metric ton of material to work with as a result.
Not everyone has that "luxury" I know, and I still have to deal with this $4!7 at all my clients.
Seems y'all have developed the means for performing surgical strikes against the miscreants whilst reducing or altogether eliminating the collateral damage. That is something I can get behind.
I wanna help!